+ Reply to Thread
    Banned sparklyfluff is an unknown quantity at this point
    Time Online
    2 Weeks 3 Days 1 Hour 34 Minutes 21 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Minute 30 Seconds

Dry skin in old hamster

Toffee has recently and fairly suddenly lost a lot of fur, to the point where he's starting to look quite bald, he is 2yrs 8mths so quite an old man and I believe that it's likely down to something going on internally with him and the mites are taking over, he still seems ok in himself though, but some of his skin is looking a little red and dry in places and the odd scab on his face, is there anything I can put on him that would help and not hurt him if he licked it off?

Winter White Hamster melbourne is an unknown quantity at this point melbourne's Avatar
    My Mood

Breezy
    Time Online
    1 Month 3 Weeks 1 Day 7 Hours 13 Minutes 43 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 37 Seconds
    It has been suggested to me to use cod liver oil capsules.Put into cage a day or two before cleaning and hammie will bite it.

European Hamster leedsgurl is an unknown quantity at this point leedsgurl's Avatar
    My Mood

Relaxed
    Time Online
    2 Weeks 11 Hours 40 Minutes 1 Second
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Minute 16 Seconds
    We used sudocrem on Patch when he got old and his skin was quite dry and sore, and it seemed to help. I wouldn't have thought it would harm them as it is safe for human babies (nappy rash)

Super Moderator souffle will become famous soon enough souffle's Avatar
    My Mood

Fine
    Time Online
    1 Month 3 Weeks 3 Days 1 Hour 34 Minutes 28 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 46 Seconds
    I have heard the Johnson's tea tree cream for small animals can help soothe the skin. Also adding a little wheat germ and some vitamins to the water can help the older hamster. Oils and debittered brewers yeast sometimes encourage hair growth. Best try one thing at a time to see if it helps him though. He is a grand age now though isn't he!

Site Owner Teresa has a spectacular aura about Teresa's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My Mood

Cold
    Time Online
    2 Months 2 Days 8 Hours 1 Minute 5 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    5 Minutes 30 Seconds
    I've used all the suggestions previously made, and to be honest, the one I prefer for older hams is a drop or two of cod liver oil on the food - mainly because I have been told this can also help with joint stiffness.

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Minute 30 Seconds
    Thank you all, may try a combo of cod liver oil & some cream then and see how he gets on with that, it does look very flakey, and his back legs are a bit stiffer than they were so the cod liver oil helping that too would be great. He is doing well for his age bless him, still manages to trash his cage at night somehow too

Super Moderator VectisHams will become famous soon enough VectisHams's Avatar
    My Mood

Angelic
    Time Online
    3 Months 3 Weeks 5 Days 10 Hours
    Avg. Time Online
    10 Minutes 17 Seconds
    I've used the tea tree cream for a robo with sore skin and it seemed to help, and the cod liver oil with a syrian with sore joints. I hope he continues to cause chaos for a long while yet.

Roborovski Hamster towyvale is an unknown quantity at this point
    Time Online
    6 Hours 32 Minutes 23 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Seconds
    Hi,
    We had a hamster a month or so ago that had dry skin and was completely bald and had one or two scabs (due we think to scratching). He is also over 2. WE put a little Johnson's Baby oil on him and rubbed it in. He now has no scabs and all the hair has grown back!!

Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Minute 30 Seconds
    wow the baby oil sounds to work wonders doesn't it, may combine that with some cod liver oil then and see how he gets on. Thank you everyone

European Hamster fluffymunchkins is an unknown quantity at this point fluffymunchkins's Avatar
    My Mood

Fine
    Time Online
    5 Days 13 Hours 24 Minutes 30 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    29 Seconds
    Sending my best for Toffee, he sounds just like my Treo (though he has problems due to his disability)

This thread has been useful for me too as Treo is getting increasingly worse, now that hes more frail.
    Hopefully some cod liver oil and tea tree cream will help x
    The others: Daisy the greyhound, Lewis and Button the gerbils, Rupert the goldfish x
    Please visit my website: http://www.theorchardhamstery.co.nr/