+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gemzie

What can cause sudden death in a hamster?

I'm just wondering if anyone had any advice as we still don't know why my little man passed away after only owning him for 3 months. We bought him from Pets at home in December, he was found passed away in his sleep in March. We took him to the vet who said he wasn't hibernating (as was our concern). What gets me is that the day before he was his usual self, happy as larry and demanding food etc. He didn't have wet tail either. I am just wondering what could have caused an otherwise young healthy hamster to pass away so suddenly? It makes me feel like a bad owner and I've been racking my brains and nothing changed leading up to his death. Any info would be useful as this was my first hamster and it would be awful to lose another so young

Syrian Hamster Ellie is an unknown quantity at this point Ellie's Avatar
    Time Online
    2 Weeks 1 Day 21 Hours 33 Minutes 19 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Minute 23 Seconds
    So sorry to hear of his passing, I have heard giving a hamster a wheel too young can be too much strain for them if they over do it, If they get tangled or swallow some of the 'fluffy' bedding, could be due to bad breeding (pet shop hamsters carry risks) or it could just be like us humans, some of us just stop some day..

Also have another syrian - LH Black - Bear

Super Moderator Gill is on a distinguished road Gill's Avatar
    Time Online
    1 Month 14 Hours 23 Minutes 27 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Minutes 40 Seconds
    It's very hard to know why a young hamster would pass away suddenly but it's most probably just bad luck. I have had people come to me for babies who have had similar experiences with hamsters from pet shops but it can occasionally happen with hamsters from breeders too.
    It sounds as though he had a very happy life with you which was sadly not as long as it should have been, but he was loved, which is the main thing.

Super Moderator souffle will become famous soon enough souffle's Avatar
    My Mood

Fine
    Time Online
    1 Month 3 Weeks 3 Days 23 Hours 7 Minutes 17 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 49 Seconds
    It can be just like a 'cot death' in babies. Like all creatures baby hammies can have a little something wrong inside which just gives out suddenly as they grow.
    He sounds to have passed very peacefully and lived a lifetime of love in his short time with you.

Super Moderator VectisHams will become famous soon enough VectisHams's Avatar
    My Mood

Angelic
    Time Online
    3 Months 3 Weeks 5 Days 16 Hours 4 Minutes 22 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    10 Minutes 13 Seconds
    It's so hard when they die so young. He packed a lifetime of love into his few months with you, and I'm sure taught you a lot that you can offer your next furry friend.

Gemzie
    Thanks guys, I hope he wasn't in pain or anything. I have felt ever so guilty incase I missed something and he was ill or something, if he was he definitely didn't show it (although I have heard small animals can do this which worries me - being ill but hiding it). I really hope it was quick and painless for him Poor boy. Its been hard also because he really was well-looked after - he was spoilt rotten actually and wanted for nothing. His cage was always clean, he was never without a full bowl of food/water etc. If I hadn't done much with him I could understand it more.

Chinese Hamster hrwhiteley is an unknown quantity at this point hrwhiteley's Avatar
    My Mood

Amazed
    Time Online
    1 Day 23 Hours 36 Minutes 52 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    10 Seconds
    Your not a bad owner. you did everything you could for your hamster just keep your chin up and when you are ready go and get yourself another hamster and spoil that one rotten.

Super Moderator Gill is on a distinguished road Gill's Avatar
    Time Online
    1 Month 14 Hours 23 Minutes 27 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Minutes 40 Seconds
    It doesn't sound as though he was ill if he was acting normally and looking for food the day before. I think you would have noticed if he was off colour as you were obviously giving him a lot of love and attention.
    His star was only meant to shine for a short while and he passed peacefully. You have nothing to feel guilty about. x

Lolgirl1

My hamster died. Today

I'm also wondering what caused my hamsters death. I had her for 1 year and 2 months. I was on te phone with my cousin a few minutes I came back from after school and I did the regular fill up her water and put in food. Then I noticed se didn't move. I thought she was sleeping. Then I put my hand in her cage and moved the bedding away from he and noticed her eyes closed nd her not breathing. So I told my cousin ill call back nod told my mom she was dead. No, I am not a bad pet owner I am 11 and I love my hamster so much. I didn't burry her yet cause I'm still trying to find out how she dead. But it's o sudden I was crying and m mom came in the room upset. But tell me how this happened.

Super Moderator souffle will become famous soon enough souffle's Avatar
    My Mood

Fine
    Time Online
    1 Month 3 Weeks 3 Days 23 Hours 7 Minutes 17 Seconds
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Minutes 49 Seconds
    I am sorry for your loss Lolgirl.
    It can be hard to understand but it must have been her time to be called to the bridge. Most often we don't know why or how but when we find them asleep in their nest with their eyes closed it usually means that they have passed over very gently in their sleep. She may have just had a sudden little heart attack and went very quickly. At this age she is actually quite an elderly hamster in hamster time and it was likely just old age that took her. Hamsters live life much quicker than humans. It isn't the time in your life that counts but the life in your time and she sounds like her life was wonderful and full of love.
    Before you bury her can you just do one thing and ask your mum to check the colour of her nails at the roots. If these look dark red or blackish then she will have passed on. If they are still clear there is a chance she is hibernating and you should try warming her up to see if she comes round. There are some threads on the forum.
    Don't get your hopes to high but do check.xx